• Copy of degree/transcripts/typing certificate, if required
• Brief description of how you are qualified for this position by virtue of your interest, aptitude, education and experience required.
DUTIES:Under the supervision of the Senior Associate Athletics Director of External Affairs, the incumbent’s primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Publicize Roadrunner Athletics through publications and other media
• Serve as the primary contact for assigned teams
• Provide game day assistance with assigned teams and sporting events
• Report results to the media
• Write press releases and maintain records and files
• Develop and publish social media and web content
• Support broadcast and video efforts
• Other duties as assigned
SCREENING: Only those applicants possessing experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience and interest in the position.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY EMPLOYEES UNION: It shall be the policy of the CSU in filling vacant CSUEU bargaining Units 2, 5, 7 & 9 positions to fill such vacancies from among qualified individuals currently employed on-campus except when it is determined that it is necessary to appoint outside applicants to meet campus workforce diversity goals or to provide specialized skills and abilities that are not available from current employees.
BACKGROUND CHECK:A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU.Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SENSITIVE POSITION:Sensitive positions are designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of the people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the CSU or individuals in the university community.
MANDATED REPORTER:The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
GENERAL INFORMATION:It is the policy of California State University; Bakersfield to hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to present documentation verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be requested to present a social security card at the time of initial appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Official California State University, Bakersfield application forms must be completed in full and received in the Human Resources Office by 5:00 p.m. on/or postmarked by the specified closing date, unless otherwise indicated. Resumes are welcomed but will not be accepted in place of the official application. E-mailed or faxed applications or resumes will also not be accepted.
Applications are available outside the Office of Human Resources and may be downloaded from the Human Resources website. Candidates who reside outside the city of Bakersfield may contact the Office of Human Resources and request that an application be mailed to their residence. It takes a minimum of 4-6 weeks from the closing date for a position to be filled.
To check the status of your application, go to the Human Resources’ Job Opening/Status Inquiry page at http://www.csub.edu/bas/hr/EmployRecruit/Job%20Status%20Inquiry/index.html and click on the “Job Status” icon link.Applicants will not receive individual notifications. Upon submission, all application materials become the exclusive property of California State University, Bakersfield and will not be copied or returned.
California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veteran status.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Sports Administration or a related field and related experience (below) in collegiate sports information or athletic media relations; strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills; the ability to appropriately handle sensitive information; the ability to work evenings, weekend, and travel when necessary; candidate must be committed to the adherence of NCAA rules and regulations; regular and reliable attendance is required.
• Demonstrate customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism
• Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems
• Ability to initiate, establish and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds
• Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing
• Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation
• Working knowledge of budget policies and procedures
• Ability to perform standard business math, such as calculate ratios and percentages, and make simple projections
• Ability to draft and compose correspondence and standard reports
• Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines
• Excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, and collaborative calendaring and email software
• Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, academic and administrative structure, policies and procedures
Public Affairs Communications/Specialist I:Requires related foundation knowledge and abilities listed above as well as one year of professional collegiate sports information or media relations experience in college athletics.
Public Affairs Communications/Specialist II:Requires thorough knowledge and abilities listed above as well as two years of professional collegiate sports information or media relations experience in college athletics. Thorough knowledge of web and social media techniques, vehicles, and formats.
• Experience working in a Division I Athletics department.
• Graphic design skills and broadcast and video editing skills
• Competence in the following computer software programs:Adobe Photoshop, Quark Xpress or Adobe Page Maker, Stat Crew, Microsoft Office, and web design software.
• Advanced editorial skills
• Knowledge of interview techniques and the ability to define and deliver media messages
The successful candidate will be placed into the appropriate classification based on knowledge and experience and will fulfill responsibilities at that level.