The Athletics Communication Assistant is responsible for assisting with the intercollegiate athletics communications office. Serves as primary media contact for softball, women’s tennis, swimming and diving and men’s and women’s cross country. Responsible for writing press releases, game notes, stories for publication, updating social media content and maintaining the athletic department website. Coordinates media coverage for athletic events and maintains team and individual statistics.
Essential Job Duties
• Serves as the primary media contact for softball, women’s tennis, swimming and diving and men’s and women’s cross country. Maintains positive relationships with the public, the press and electronic media.
• Responsible for updating the athletic department website for those sports, uses creative, independent judgment to write press releases, game notes and stories for publication. Ensures that data is uploaded, accurate, relevant and posted in a timely manner.
• Uses creative, independent judgment to update and post social media content for assigned sports to promote FGCU Athletics.
• Supervise and manage student workers at home games/events, in addition to work produced in the office.
• Develops and oversees the delivery of publications, press and media communications, special promotions and general information on related activities and events. Monitors all outgoing materials for brand consistency.
• Updates team and individual statistics and coordinates media coverage for athletic events.
• Responsible for preparing and implementing use of traditional and digital marketing efforts.
• Promotes honors for outstanding athletes, coaches and administrators.
• Complies with all University, ASUN Conference, and Coastal Collegiate Sports Association (CCSA) regulations, as applicable, as well as all NCAA rules and regulations. Remains current with all changes in NCAA, as well as changes to University, ASUN and CCSA rules and regulations regarding intercollegiate athletics. This includes the requirement for self-reporting any possible rule violations. Any violation of NCAA rules is prohibited and may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
• Produce graphics for social media campaigns, game day programs, game notes and other publications as needed.
• Oversee social media coverage by creating campaigns for select outlets geared toward increasing followers and engagement, aiding with recaps from games and events and tracking trends and analytical research.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Sports Information, Communication, Journalism, Marketing/PR or a related field.
One year of athletics communications experience (either in a full-time, part-time or volunteer/intern role).
Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Sports Information, Communication, Journalism, Marketing/PR or a related field.
Division I intercollegiate athletics communications experience.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a young, dynamic institution of higher learning located in sunny Southwest Florida. In less than 20 years, FGCU had made an incredible impact on Southwest Florida. We are a catalyst for the area's economy and a central hub for the community. Our campus and community serve as a living laboratory from which life-improving discoveries emanate. And our sports teams ene...rgize the region. As an employee of our faculty team, support staff or administration, you will help foster this vision and continue to help positively impact the lives of our students and community.
Inspiring those who inspire others; that’s the FGCU effect.