• Oversee ongoing implementation and review of The Guilford College Athletics Plan. Develop and articulate a long-term vision for athletics based on the plan and communicate it to coaches, administrators, donors, students and the public.
• Run an effective program under budget limitations. Prepare an annual budget and allocate spending on items like coaches’ salaries, team travel. equipment purchases, and facilities and grounds upkeep. Project future budget and spending plans based on strategic decisions.
• Coordinate with coaches about the scheduling of games and practices. Collaborate with conferences and leagues about scheduling issues. Speak with league officials about matters such as post-season play. Within the athletic program, the director decides how to allocate time for a field. court or weight room.
• File an annual report on the status of each team with the President. The report will cover each team’s successes and shortcomings and recommend action steps.
• Guide each coach to align team goals with the overall Athletic Department and College strategic priorities. Build bridges among and between Athletics, coaches, student-athletes and other vital parts of the College. Prioritize the measurable academic success of student athletes, including their retention and graduation, through focused efforts including collaboration with College services to support the development of the whole person.
• Keep track of quickly changing rules. Work with the compliance officer and Title IX coordinator to make sure that the program is operating in compliance with NCAA rules and Title IX requirements.
• Work closely with the Senior Women’s Administrator to assure gender equity, affirmative action, and Title IX compliance; work to provide equal opportunities for all students to participate in intercollegiate athletics in accordance with College rules, and state and federal laws.
• Advance and execute fundraising, corporate sponsorship, promotions and marketing activities.
• Oversee the recruitment, hiring, supervision, mentoring, and/or evaluation of full and part-time coaches, administrative and support staff, volunteers and student employees. Hire and supervise athletic trainers to provide a comprehensive program of prevention and rehabilitation for all student athletes.
• Actively support diversity and inclusion efforts, both at the departmental and College level.
• Review existing department processes and policies and revise them or create new ones to enhance department’s operations and effectiveness.
• Encourage and create an atmosphere of sportsmanship, professionalism, collaboration and respect among the staff, coaches and student-athletes in the department.
• Fulfill weekend and evening obligations.
A Master’s degree in education administration, sports management or a related field.
Five years of related experience in athletic administration or coaching in a college environment.
Knowledge of legal liability. Thorough knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations as well as demonstrated experience in leadership, budgeting and personnel management in athletics.
Demonstrable understanding of Title IX regulations and compliance.
Personal commitment to the NCAA Division III philosophy about the role and value of intercollegiate athletics in a student’s educational experience.
Committed to diversity, including gender equity among student-athletes and coaching staff.
Additional Salary Information: Grade 14 (Starting at $74,105-$94,854 Depending on Qualifications)
Internal Number: S00346
About Guilford College
Guilford College’s mission is to provide a transformative, practical, and excellent liberal arts education that produces critical thinkers in an inclusive diverse environment, guided by Quaker testimonies of peace, simplicity, equality, community and integrity, and emphasizing the creative problem-solving skills, experience, enthusiasm, and international perspectives necessary to promote positive change in the world.
The Athletic Director supports the College mission by articulating and implementing a program to enhance the development and graduation of student-athletes. By emphasizing the student in the athlete, our program fosters academic growth, personal health and wellness, development of character and integrity, support for team effort and competition, and the enhancement of capacities that lead to an authentic life of purpose.
The Athletic Director oversees all aspects of the Guilford College athletic program including hiring coaches, scheduling, budget preparation, promotion, compliance, and facilities and grounds management.