Under the general supervision of the Assistant Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Services, the Athletic Academic Advisor is responsible for understanding and interpreting relevant university, NCAA and MWC policies to provide academic, graduation, eligibility, career, and personal advising for student-athletes; providing regular academic and athletic eligibility progress reports to coaching staff; assisting with study hall services; teaching new student orientation courses on academic success strategies; and providing academic and eligibility information to prospective student-athletes and parents, and other duties as assigned.
- Communicating with student-athletes regarding tutoring and learning assistant needs
- Providing weekly, end of semester and end-of-year statistical information to the Assistant Athletic Director of Student-Academics Services and the head coach on the performance of assigned group of student-athletes
- Assisting in development and implementation of appropriate study strategies for student athletes.
- Monitor academic progress of student athletes, including weekly meetings with student-athletes, daily monitoring of class attendance, academic appointment attendance, and grades.
- Monitoring student athletes' academic progress to ensure they meet all NCAA, MWC and Fresno State academic rules of eligibility
- Assisting with the preparation of the annual NCAA APR Report
- Communication with coaches, students, administrators, tutors and professors.
- Conduct recruiting meetings with prospective student-athletes per coaching staff requests.
- Functioning in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work flexible hours and some weekends.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Athletic Director of Student-Athlete Services
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possession of a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and four years of full-time work experience advising in an NCAA Division I institution or coaching, or possession of a master's degree from an accredited institution and 1 year of full-time or 2 years part-time as a GA or Intern work experience advising or in an NCAA Division I institution
- Master's Degree and work experience advising in an NCAA Division I institution
- Knowledge of:
- NCAA rules and regulations
- Basic computer software applications such as Microsoft Word for Windows and Excel
- Ability to:
- Interpret, apply, and communicate program rules and regulations
- Assist student-athletes in course selection for regular and summer sessions
- Work a flexible schedule, including some evening and weekend hours
- Utilize computer applications to regularly monitor student-athlete academic progress toward graduation and their NCAA/MWC academic eligibility
- Effectively utilize a web based environment and basic computer software applications (MS Office)
- Make appropriate independent judgments when applying existing rules, procedures and guidelines in a variety of circumstances
- Relate effectively with adult student learners, coaches, staff and faculty from diverse ethnic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Present clear and concise information both orally and in writing
- Maintain a courteous and professional attitude in stressful situations
- Ability and willingness to support the diversity and equity commitments of the department
- Commitment to academic integrity and compliance with University, conference and NCAA regulations
- A history of regular attendance and positive performance evaluations
Preferred Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- Working knowledge/experience with NCAA Division I rules and regulations, especially academic eligibility policies and procedures
- Understanding of and ability to coordinate NCAA data collection (APR and GSR)
- Demonstrated experience with life skills, student development programs
- Working knowledge of database computer applications (CAi, PeopleSoft) and computer assisted instruction software, such as BlackBoard
Deadline to Apply:
Final day to apply is February 7, 2017.
An Athletic Corporation Application, a resume, and a list of three professional references, including telephone numbers, are required. A cover letter that addresses your qualifications for the position is required.
|Apply By Mail: |
California State University, Fresno - Human Resources
5150 North Maple Avenue, M/S: JA41
Fresno, California 93740-8026
| ||Apply By Fax or In Person: |
Joyal Administration Building, Room 211
Phone: (559) 278-2032
Fax: (559) 278-4275
Thank you for your interest in a non-faculty position with the Athletic Corporation of California State University, Fresno.
The Athletic Corporation of California State University, Fresno is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action. Applicants will be considered without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status or disability. The Athletic Corporation actively seeks and encourages applications from members of all underrepresented groups. The Athletic Corporation is committed to providing equal opportunities to men and women CSU students in all campus programs, including intercollegiate athletics. The Athletic Corporation is associated with the University; however, employees of the Corporation are not employees of the University or the State of California.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, crime report statistics are available at http://www.fresnostate.edu/adminserv/police/clery/.
Background investigations will be conducted, as required, depending upon the job requirements of a position. These could include, but are not limited to, processing of fingerprints through the Department of Justice and degree and license verifications. An offer of employment may or may not be extended based upon the results of these verifications.
Pursuant to the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of individual's eligibility to be employed in the United States.
Pursuant to Executive Order 883, reasonable accommodation is to be provided upon request from an employee or applicant with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the campus. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is to be determined by the campus on a case-by-case basis after it has received the individual's request for accommodation and engaged in an interactive process. Employees or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources directly at (559) 278-2032.
University Information: (http://www.fresnostate.edu/)
Fresno State is one of 23 campuses of the California State University System. The university's mission is to offer high quality educational opportunities to qualified students at the bachelor's and master's levels, as well as in joint doctoral programs in selected areas. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while interacting with the state, nation, and world. Through transformational applied research, technical assistance, training and other related public service activities, the University builds partnerships and linkages with business, education, industry, and government. The University competes athletically in Division I FBS and is a member of the Mountain West Conference.
The University's current enrollment is more than 24,000 students from diverse backgrounds, which creates a culturally rich environment. The campus, which has been designated as an arboretum, is spread over 1400 acres. Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 600,000 is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley on the western edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The campus is within easy driving distance of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia National Parks, the Monterey Peninsula, Lake Tahoe, beaches, sailing lakes and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency