ATHLETICS ACADEMIC ADVISOR (Student Services Professional II)
Job # 2138
Closing Date: For priority consideration, application materials must be received by April 7, 2017, however, the position will remain open until filled.
APPLICATION PACKET REQUIREMENTS
This position requires (including those on campus) submission of:
• A standard CSU, Bakersfield job application (download at:
• Names of three professional references
• Copy of degree/transcripts/typing certificate, if required
• Brief description of how you are qualified for this position by virtue of your interest, aptitude, education and experience required.
The primary goal for this position is to create an environment for student-athletes which fosters and supports retention and timely graduation. The position will also serve in assisting with oversight of the Kegley Center for Student Success.
• Monitor and evaluate academic progress of assigned student-athletes to ensure compliance with institutional, conference and national eligibility requirements.
• Provide academic advising, transfer evaluation review, course selection, and registration assistance to new and continuing student-athletes.
•Assist in the continuing eligibility certification process.
• Make appropriate referrals to campus resources as needed.
• Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
• Attend training and maintain skill currency as appropriate to safely and effectively complete assignments.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Requires equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university and two years of professional experience in one of the Student Services program areas or a related field.
• General knowledge of the principles, practices and trends of the Student Services field as well as knowledge of, or ability to quickly learn academic advising and academic policies and procedures.
• Excellent ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures independently, and use sound judgment and discretion to act when precedents do not exist.
• Proven ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; including one-to-one, small group, and large group presentations.
• Excellent ability to exercise confidentiality, discretion, and independent judgment and to handle highly sensitive interpersonal issues.
• Must have excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to work closely with a diverse population and have the ability to relate well with faculty, students, and staff on and off campus.
• Work independently and plan day-to-day activities; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
• Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
• Must be able to work some nights and weekends.
• Candidate must be committed to the adherence of NCAA rules and regulations.
• Professional experience in working with student-athletes and NCAA rules and regulations is preferred.
• Master’s degree in a job related field is preferred and may be substituted for one year of professional experience.
SCREENING: Only those applicants possessing experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience and interest in the position.
BACKGROUND CHECK: A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SENSITIVE POSITION: Sensitive positions are designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of the people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the CSU or individuals in the university community.
GENERAL INFORMATION: It is the policy of California State University; Bakersfield to hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to present documentation verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be requested to present a social security card at the time of initial appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Official California State University, Bakersfield application forms must be completed in full and received in the Human Resources Office by 5:00 p.m. on/or postmarked by the specified closing date, unless otherwise indicated. Resumes are welcomed but will not be accepted in place of the official application. E-mailed or faxed applications or resumes will also not be accepted.
Applications are available outside the Office of Human Resources and may be downloaded from the Human Resources website. Candidates who reside outside the city of Bakersfield may contact the Office of Human Resources and request that an application be mailed to their residence. It takes a minimum of 4-6 weeks from the closing date for a position to be filled. To check the status of your application, go to the Human Resources’ Job Opening/Status Inquiry page at http://www.csub.edu/bas/hr/EmployRecruit/Job%20Status%20Inquiry/index.html and click on the “Job Status” icon link. Applicants will not receive individual notifications. Upon submission, all application materials become the exclusive property of California State University, Bakersfield and will not be copied or returned.
California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veteran status.