As a primary function this position will serve on a team of directors overseeing AMA’s academic related responsibilities. In addition, this position will oversee or, along with one or more other directors, serve on a team overseeing additional AMA functions. The additional areas of oversight will depend on the skills and interests of the selected candidate. The position will require supervision of select AMA staff members, participation on AMA’s management team and fulfilling other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities.
1. Serve on a team of directors overseeing AMA’s academic related responsibilities. The successful candidate must be highly skilled in effectively serving within a collaborative culture. Work in this area will include but is not limited to:
a. Providing director level support to the NCAA Division I Committee on Academics. In addition to overseeing specific tasks, this work will include the development of a significant amount of work product for the committee and related projects.
b. For academic related work, implementing AMA’s staff wide interpretive philosophy that is based on a strong legislative foundation and supplemented by reasonable judgment.
c. Support AMA’s managing director(s) in the development and implementation of a comprehensive plan related to academics. This includes strategic planning for both short and long-term initiatives designed to reflect the primacy of academics in intercollegiate athletics.
d. Coordinating special projects related to the academics function as assigned by the vice president and managing director(s) of AMA.
e. Providing direction and oversight to the academic team on specific governance and policy projects.
f. Assist in the implementation of the business performance management efforts of the academics team.
g. Participate in the management of the academic team’s education plan, including the education of institutions with limited resources.
h. Provide support to the Division I governance structure as appropriate.
2. Oversee additional areas within AMA or partner with other directors in such oversight. The relevant area(s) of oversight will depend on the director’s skills, interests and AMA’s needs.
3. Implement performance management process for direct reports.
a. Agree on developmental level of tasks for direct reports.
b. Develop a plan of action for areas of improvement.
c. Conduct regular one-on-one meetings to provide appropriate access, interaction and transparency.
d. Conduct midyear and annual performance evaluations in accordance with established policies and procedures and within established timeframes.
e. Encourage and facilitate professional development of direct reports.
4. Assist in development and oversee implementation of assigned elements of AMA’s strategic plan.
5. Exemplify national office values: leadership, inclusion, collaboration, communication and accountability.
6. Develop and implement a cultural environment that emphasizes partnership with the membership and units within the national office. This includes an emphasis on collaboration and collegiality.
7. Participate as an active member of the AMA management team and academic leadership team including contributing agenda items; participating in management team discussions; contributing to resolution of key issues and working collaboratively with other management team members as issues arise.
8. Represent the NCAA and AMA staff through participation as a presenter at various staff, Association, conference and professional organizations’ seminars, workshops and meetings (ongoing).
9. Serve on various group and national office project teams (ongoing).
10. Complete miscellaneous projects as assigned by the vice president or managing director(s) of AMA (occasionally).