Men's and Women's Diving Coach
University of Massachusetts Amherst
UMass Amherst is the Flagship campus of the University system in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Nestled in idyllic Amherst, Massachusetts, the campus is consistently ranked among the top public research universities in the nation, and offers a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers.
The University of Massachusetts Department of Athletics is accepting applications from qualified applicants for a Men's and Women's Diving Coach.
This position specifically supports the Department and University's mission through recruiting, coaching, mentoring, and overseeing the Diving (M/W) program.
- Oversee and direct all aspects of coaching by provide instructional expertise and direction during practice and game-day events.
- Through team practice, film review and one-on-one instructions, enhance the learning and development of the athlete's Diving (M/W) skills.
- Serve as a teacher and mentor to Diving (M/W) program coaching staff.
- Ensure that proper safety procedures are followed by all student-athletes (all assistant coaches must be certified in CPR and first aid).
- Work with athletics trainers and physicians as needed to implement team wellness and conditioning programs.
- Provide direction to the Strength and Conditioning coach as to the desired training goals.
- Utilize coaching expertise in creating a winning athletic program for UMass.
- Oversee and implement all aspects of the recruiting process.
- Identify prospective student-athletes through scouting athletic events, film review, developing industry contacts, and analysis of various performance indicators.
- Evaluate talents, abilities and character of these prospects to determine their potential to succeed athletically within the Atlantic 10 Conference (A10) and academically at the University of Massachusetts (UMass).
- Engage in communication with the prospects, parents, coaches, or other advisors through extensive travel, written and verbal correspondence with the intentions of attracting these student-athletes to UMass.
- Work with the University's admissions office and the Department's compliance office for academic evaluations for meeting UMass, A10 Conference, and NCAA standards.
- Communicate with Compliance Officer to ensure that all NCAA policies are followed.
- Oversee scholarship allocations and scholarship budget management for the Diving (M/W) program.
- Oversee and evaluate Diving (M/W) program staff including assigning areas of responsibility and work assignments.
- Responsible for working with all Athletic Department Offices in processing of administrative functions and paperwork related to overseeing the Diving (M/W) program.
- Responsible for preparation and managing of the Diving (M/W) program budget.
- Based upon scheduling commitments, recruiting demands, and other factors within the program administration, work with the Associate AD for Business with budget preparation, reconciliation, procurement of supplies, and other relevant communications with the business office.
- Responsible for oversight of all travel aspects related to the sport program which includes the driving of athletic vans for practice and competitions as needed.
- Understand current and changing NCAA, A10 Conference, and UMass Compliance Policy and Procedures as they relate to the Diving (M/W) program. Maintain consistent communication with UMass compliance staff. Assist in briefing student-athletes and monitoring adherence to above.
- Shall comply fully with the rules, regulations, and policies of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, of the Atlantic 10 Conference, and of the University and its Athletic Department and shall take every reasonable precaution to ensure that all members of their staff comply fully with such rules, regulations, and policies.
- Monitor academic progress of program's student athletes. Understand academic needs, communicate with Academic Support Services, receive progress reports, identify any issues that may occur and provide direction and guidance when necessary.
- Work with the UMass Athletic Foundation is its efforts to build relationships and generate gifts to the Diving (M/W) program alumni funds or other department and University related objectives.
- Coordinate the programs fundraising activities.
- Work with the Assistant AD for Facilities in the advising, planning, and implementation of pertinent facility management and maintenance for equipment and facilities.
- Responsible for the oversight and scheduling of contests.
- Attends conventions, conferences, and clinics consistent with Department and University policies.
- Serves on Department and University committees as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- As a member of a Division I program for UMass, assistant coaches need to represent their school and program in a manner that supports the mission of the University. Speaking engagements, instructional clinics, development efforts, and community relation programs need to reflect a professional and positive impression to the media or general public.
- Work with student-athletes and monitor their adherence to rules and regulations concerning conduct, appearance, and punctuality.
HIRING SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with Experience
Please apply online and submit a letter of application, resume, and the names, titles, and telephone numbers of at least three current references by May 30, 2017.
For the full position announcement including required qualifications and application information, please visit:
The University of Massachusetts is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members.