Cal Poly is committed to providing a broad based, high quality, competitive, NCAA Division I athletic program that affords student-athletes opportunities to take advantage of Cal Poly's unique "learn by doing" philosophy. Cal Poly's Athletic teams compete in the Big West, Big Sky and Pac 12 conferences. Cal Poly fields twenty-one athletic teams with approximately 550 student athletes.
Under the direction of the Associate Athletic Director for Development, the Director of Development is responsible for providing advancement and fundraising services designed to increase private support for the priorities of Athletics and the University. The Director of Development is responsible for outreach to alumni, friends, parents, key volunteers and local businesses. Through this effort, the incumbent will identify prospects, coordinate and execute supporter visits, and appropriately develop and implement fundraising strategies that promote Athletics and University priorities. The Director of Development will communicate effectively and collaborate with on-campus personnel, including administration, coaching staffs and management to foster a team approach. The incumbent is expected to travel extensively, with required day and overnight travel.
Essential Job Functions
1. Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospective donors for major, leadership and planned gifts to Athletics.
2. Effectively manage follow-up and reporting requirements in an appropriate manner.
3. Discover and qualify new donor prospects to support Athletics with emphasis on prospects capable of donating $25,000 and more.
4. Develop and manage a personal portfolio of prospective donors, while maintaining confidentiality.
5. Develop and propose strategies for solicitation of gifts including, but are not limited to: determining ongoing relationships with prospects/donors; recommending specific purpose and level of gift; identifying those to be involved in cultivation and subsequent solicitation; and assuring that solicitations are carried out.
6. Participate in the development and maintenance of a strong donor stewardship program that ensures donor acknowledgement with appropriate and timely recognition and correspondence that complies with campus procedures and also keeps information current in the advancement information management system.
7. Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with college/unit constituents, including faculty, parents, staff, donors, alumni, industry partners and volunteers.
8. Collaborate effectively with other University fundraisers in an effort to enhance opportunities for gifts from donors/prospects.
9. Ensure all development activities are conducted in accordance to the fund-raising policies and procedures of the CSU and University Development.
10. Attend and be supportive of Athletics events.
Related Job Functions
1. Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
2. Attend training and maintain skill currency as appropriate to safely and effectively complete assignments.
3. Assist with event and meeting planning as needed. Events may be on or off-campus and may include small or large cultivation events, advisory board meetings or other gatherings that advance Athletics goals.
Internal Number: 105076
About Cal Poly Athletics
Cal Poly is a state university with over 18,000 students. The University has a distinctive mission and is best known for its polytechnic programs. It also offers comprehensive curricula in the arts and sciences. One of the 23 campuses of The California State University, Cal Poly has built a solid reputation on its learn-by-doing approach to the preparation of undergraduate and graduate students for careers in applied technical and professional fields. The University is organized into six colleges: Agriculture, Food & Environmental Sciences; Architecture and Environmental Design; Business; Engineering; Liberal Arts; and Science and Mathematics. Nearly two-thirds of the University's students major in agriculture, architecture and environmental esign, business, or engineering. Student quality is high, with applications significantly exceeding admissions. Cal Poly is located in San Luis Obispo, a city of 42,000 located twelve miles from the Pacific Ocean and midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles on California's scenic central coast. University families live in San Luis Obispo and nearby communities both on the coast and inland. Excellent recreational facilities are available, an...d the area has an outstanding climate, with an average daily maximum temperature of 62.2 in January, 77.0 in August, and an annual average of 70.2. CAL POLY ATHLETICS Cal Poly operates its athletic program with integrity and in full compliance with institutional, conference and NCAA guidelines. Cal Poly sponsors 21 sports at the NCAA Division I level. All sports compete in the Big West Conference except Football (Big Sky Conference) Wrestling(Pac-12), and Men's and Women's Swimming (Mountain Pacific Sports Federation). Men's NCAA Division I sports programs include: football, basketball, baseball, cross country, golf, swimming and diving, tennis, outdoor track and field, soccer, and wrestling. Women's NCAA Division I sports programs include: basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, cross country, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, swimming and diving, tennis, golf and beach volleyball.