Assist head coach in coaching student-athletes, implementation and instruction of game strategy, recruiting prospective student-athletes, monitoring student-athlete academic progress, program organization, managing travel, managing student-athlete scholarships and overseeing the discipline, conduct and image of the sport program and student-athletes of a major university sport program in conjunction with other departmental responsibilities as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally) This is a professional coaching position and all of the duties of the position must be conducted in adherence with the policies, rules and regulations of affiliated national, regional and state intercollegiate athletic associations, the Mid-American conference (or subsequent member conference) and the university.
• Coach student-athletes individually and in groups, and demonstrate game techniques; this position is specifically assigned to guard development. Plan coaching and practice sessions in accordance with NCAA and conference regulations for specified positions. Develop, recommend and teach game strategy and position assignments.
• Assist in the administration of the entire sport program, as assigned; including, but not limited to daily practices, game planning and implementation, recruiting, equipment management and facilities scheduling, with specific emphasis in opponent scouting reports and management of game day officiating reports.
• Provide an overall positive educational environment for student-athletes conducive to learning, athletic development, social growth, and preparing them for life beyond college. In conjunction with the Student Athlete Academic Support Services (SAASS) department monitor academic progress and academic status of student-athletes, implementing corrective action plans through appropriate staff, if needed.
• Monitor and maintain the discipline and conduct of student-athletes to support the image and reputation of the department and university. Responsible for the development, safety and conduct of the student-athletes within specific sport program.
• Promote the university, athletic department and specific sport through community events, public speaking, fundraising and marketing. Cash handling responsibilities- $5,000-$10,000 annually. Assist with departmental needs as requested.
Internal Number: 4367
About Northern Illinois University Intercollegiate Athletics
Northern Illinois University, located in DeKalb, Illinois, is a NCAA Division I institution and a member of the Mid-American Conference.