The University of Michigan-Dearborn was first created as the Dearborn Center of the University of Michigan in 1959. Ford Motor Company gave the University of Michigan approximately 200 acres, including beautiful grounds along the Rouge River in Dearborn, as well as $6 million to build the campus' first four buildings. The campus was initially established with an emphasis on cooperative education. In 1971, it became a four-year undergraduate school; with some master's-level graduate programs. Since then, the campus has experienced steady growth in both enrollment and in range of programming to include undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral-level programs. Currently the University of Michigan-Dearborn has 14 NAIA varsity sports and 2 varsity-club sports - men's and women's ice hockey.