This job description is subject to change at any time
The head coach position requires the successful candidate to work in-person on the Twin Cities Campus location.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: coaching, recruiting, scheduling, budget management, ensuring an appropriate team culture and leading a highly competitive Big Ten Conference volleyball program. Credentials should reflect proven success in recruiting, coaching, positive student-athlete experience and working with student-athletes to prepare them during the 4-5 years as a student-athlete, and for their life after.
Evolve and sustain the excellence of a highly competitive intercollegiate sport program within the NCAA and Big Ten Conference. Direct all aspects of sport staff in recruiting, practice and game competitions.
Responsible for the recruitment and hiring of high integrity assistant coaches and volleyball specific support staff members. Responsible for their individual goal setting and coaching and conducting annual performance review of all volleyball specific staff. Instruct and teach student-athletes in fundamentals of sport technique and game strategy. Plan and execute practice and competition plans including the evaluation of opponents.
Evaluate and recruit qualified student-athletes to the University of Minnesota whose athletic skills make them highly competitive in the Big Ten Conference and whose academic abilities make them good candidates for a meaningful academic experience and graduation from the University of Minnesota and who are good ambassadors among the campus and Twin Cities community.
Responsible for oversight of the Staff’s significant administrative responsibilities, including budget planning and management, scheduling of competitions and planning and executing team travel. The head coach will collaborate with the applicable stakeholders to navigate the historic changes in intercollegiate athletics including the Alston money, NIL, Conference alignment and other possible changes.
Lead in monitoring the academic performance of student-athletes to help them achieve full potential to a meaningful degree. Provide opportunities for student-athletes to develop life and leadership skills during their time as a student-athlete. Assist in advancing the department's mission, vision, and strategic plan including its commitment to equity and diversity. Demonstrates a commitment to social justice, fairness and commitment to: Being Accurate; Being Competitive; Being Honest; Being Inclusive and Being Kind. United Are We!
Establish and maintain effective relationships within the athletics department, the campus community, metro and outstate communities as well as communities of color and various socioeconomic communities. Establish and maintain positive and effective relationships with donors, booster clubs, alumni, high school and club coaches, media and the general public.
Represent in a positive fashion the University and its athletic programs in private and public forums. Represent the sport program in fulfilling contacts with or requests from, the news media, including appearances on radio and television, speaking engagements and the like. Commit to adhering to all rules and regulations of the Department, the University, the Big Ten Conference, and the NCAA. Stay current with changing NCAA legislation and sport specific rules and regulations. Will be expected to attend Head Coaches and All Staff meetings. Completes all University and Department training.
Creates an enthusiastic following and support among donors, fans, faculty/staff and the general student body. Actively engage with external communities. Participates and is fully engaged with departmental and campus fundraising activities. Occasionally organizes and manages fundraising opportunities to support the women’s volleyball enhancement fund.
25% of time
· Representing the University of Minnesota Volleyball Program within the Athletics Department, the campus community, fundraising efforts, community outreach, the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA membership.
· Perform significant administrative responsibilities, including budget planning and management of assistant coaches and support staff.
25% of time
· Represent the sport program in fulfilling contacts with or requests from the news media, including appearances on radio and television, pre/post-game interviews, public appearances and public speaking requests.
· Creates an enthusiastic following and support among donors, fans, faculty/staff and the general student body.
· Actively engages with external communities
25% of time
· Evaluate and recruit qualified student-athletes to the University of Minnesota whose athletic skills make them highly competitive in the Big Ten Conference.
· Evaluate and recruit qualified student-athletes to the University of Minnesota whose academic abilities make them good candidates for a meaningful academic experience and graduation from the University of Minnesota.
25% of Time
· Develop strategy, assess talent of opponents, and determine game plan to successfully compete in the Big Ten Conference and non-conference games.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five years of demonstrated successful (winning record) experience as the Head Coach for a Division I Women’s Volleyball program OR Women’s USA Volleyball Team
OR, 7 years of experience as an Assistant Coach for a Division I Women’s Volleyball program OR Women’s USA Volleyball Team.
- Valid driver’s license
- Five or more years of demonstrated successful experience (winning record) as a Head Women’s Volleyball Coach at the Division I College Level.